WSU Cougar Head Logo Washington State University

Managing Your VA Education Benefits

Whether you are a new or returning student, the WSU VMASS team is committed to assisting you in achieving your educational goals at WSU. This page provides information on processing your initial application for VA Educational Benefits (a one-time process), completing your enrollment certification (every semester), and completing the administrative actions necessary to receive your monthly VA Educational payments (every semester).

Step 1: Determine Your Eligibility

Determine what VA Educational benefit Program (i.e. "Chapter") you are eligible for.

Step 2: Apply to WSU & Pick a program of study

Decide on a specific program of study and officially apply to Washington State University.

  • Less than 60 cumulative semester credit hours: You may enter your program of study as "Undecided" in the VA Forms noted below.
  • With 60 or greater cumulative credits, or you are applying as a graduate student, you must enter a specific program offered by WSU.

The WSU VMASS staff will only certify enrollment in classes that are required to obtain a degree in your specific program of study.

  • Example: You choose Mechanical Engineering as your program of study and enroll in 12 credits, but 3 of the credits are not required for a Mechanical Engineering degree, then you will be certified for 9 credits. This will result in a reduction in your monthly education benefit payments, and, if you are using the Post 9/11 GI Bill, a portion of your tuition will not be covered by the VA.

Step 3: First-Time (New) Applicants

New, or first-time applicants, meet at least one of the criteria below:

  • Applying for VA Educational Benefits for the first time.
  • Switching from another GI Bill program to the Post 9/11 GI Bill.
  • Transferring Post 9/11 GI Bill benefits to your dependents.

Apply via VONAPP 

If you are applying for any VA Education Benefits, you can apply online via VONAPP.

Step 3: Returning Applicants

Returning applicants meet at least one of the criteria below:

  • Previously applied for GI Bill benefits and were approved by the VA.
  • Received GI Bill previously benefits but not at WSU-Pullman.
  • Approved for GI Bill benefits by the VA but have never used them.

Returning applicants under a GI Bill

You must complete the VA Form 22-1995

  • If you previously attended WSU-Pullman and received VA Educational Benefits, but your last date of attendance was more than a year ago, you need to submit a VA Form 22-1995 or 22-5495 through
  • Your class schedule will be evaluated against the program of study you selected on your original application (22-1990 / 22-5490) or the most recent copy of the 22-1995 / 22-5495 on file. It is your responsibility to notify the VA Coordinator of changes in program. Failure to do so will result in a delay of payments.

Applicants using Vocational Rehabilitation - Chapter 31

  • Eligibility for Chapter 31 assistance is determined by the VA. For details on the application process please visit the VA's Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment website.
  • Once approved to use Chapter 31, please provide the WSU VMASS with your VA Counselor's contact information

Step 4: Enrollment Certification Request

You must complete a WSU Enrollment Certification Request each semester at WSU. 

  • The Enrollment Certification Request must be approved by your academic advisor. Verify that you have typed the email address correctly.
  • Upload a PDF or JPG of your current COE or VA award letter with your Enrollment Certification Request each semester.
  • New students will have access to their advisor during their New Coug Orientation session.

If you do not submit an Enrollment Certification Request, the WSU VMASS will not certify your enrollment with the VA, and you will not receive your monthly educational benefit payment, or tuition payments as applicable based on your benefit.

Plan ahead! It can take the VA 3 to 4 weeks or more to process your benefit application and mail the Certificate of Eligibility.  The VA will only provide the certificate via mail. Ensure that the address that you provide to the VA is a location that you will be at to receive mail 3 to 4 weeks from the time that you submit your application.

VA Regional Office

You may mail or fax your documents.

VA Regional Office Processing

Processing time: 6 to 8 weeks (all processing times are subject to change).

  • You will receive a Certificate of Eligibility (COE), which will outline your entitlements under the specific educational program in which you are enrolled. 
  • You will use your COE for Enrollment Certifications and Residency applications.


Mail or hand-deliver copies of all documents to:

    PO Box 641035
    Pullman, WA 99164-1035
  • WSU VMASS Center
    Holland Library, Room 120BA
    Pullman, Washington
  • (509) 335‑1234

VMASS Enrollment Certification

After you have registered for classes, the WSU VMASS Team will certify your enrollment with the VA for those classes which apply towards your specific program of study.

  • Complete the Enrollment Certification Request after you have registered for classes.
  • You will receive your monthly education benefit payments only if your application has been approved by the VA Regional Office AND the WSU VMASS Team has certified your enrollment with the VA.

Post 9/11 GI Bill recipients

The VA will pay your tuition approximately 5 to 9 weeks after the start of the term.

  • WSU will not require you to pay tuition, but please note that WSU will apply all or part of your financial aid award to your outstanding tuition balance on the first day of the term, so please be prepared financially for that process.
  • Once your tuition payment is made by the VA, any excess funds on your student account will be refunded to you.
  • If you are a Post 9/11 GI Bill recipient and you are required to attend a mandatory orientation at WSU, ensure you request New Student Programs defer the mandatory orientation fee to your student account so the VA will pay the fee.

An excellent resource is the Department of Veterans Affairs Questions & Answers website. You can search archived Q&A or ask a question via email.

Apply for VA Educational Benefits
Pullman Veterans & Military Affiliated Student Services