WSU Cougar Head Logo Washington State University

WSU Office of Veterans Affairs

WSU Office of Veterans Affairs

VA Memorial 

Pullman Veterans Affairs

Serving Bremerton, Everett, Global, Pullman, and Spokane veterans and dependents

Penny Martinez, Pullman Veterans Coordinator

During the COVID-19 pandemic, we are working remotely and can be reached via email. The Pullman office serves students at Pullman, Global, Everett, and Spokane campuses. For other campuses, visit our Staff page.

WSU Veterans Center & Office
(509) 335‑1234
Access is through Terrill Library
Holland Library, Room 120BA
Pullman, WA 99165-1035

Education Benefit FAQ's

Enrollment Certification Request

Veterans and dependents receiving VA Educational Assistance must complete a WSU Enrollment Certification Request prior to each semester or term that they wish to use their VA benefit. This form requires the student's academic advisor's approval, so plan ahead! Failure to submit this form will delay receipt of your monthly GI Bill payments.

GI Bill Alive Presentation 

Thank you for attending Alive. Download a pdf of our presentation.

ASWSU Student Veterans Committee

The ASWSU Student Veterans Committee is located in the WSU Veterans Center. Stop by and say hello!

Holland Library, Room 120BA (access through Terrill Library)
(509) 335‑1857 |

Been called to active duty?

Disclaimer: The WSU VA Office provides information about benefits and services available to WSU students who are Veterans or dependents of Veterans. Although we make an effort to discuss and/or provide information about all available benefits and services for which a particular student may be eligible, we cannot promise that all students will be informed of all benefits and services for which they may be eligible. Students are responsible for asking questions and seeking information, whether from WSU or from another state or federal agency or entity, regarding available benefits or services.

Important Numbers

  • VA Education Benefit Hotline:  1-888-442-4551
  • WAVE verification:  1-877-823-2378
  • VA Direct Deposit Enrollment:  1-877-838-2778
  • VA Debt Management Center: 1-800-827-0648

Academic Events

Thu, Mar 4, 2021
  • Deadline to pay unpaid tuition and mandatory fees or a 7% late fee will be assessed.
Fri, Mar 5, 2021
  • Deadline to apply for a Graduate Degree. Late fees are applied after this date. Please see Graduate School Deadlines for more information.
  • Last day to apply for a Graduate Certificate/Degree.
  • Last day to apply for May 2021 undergraduate or professional degree or certificate without incurring a late fee. After this date an additional fee of $75 is assessed.
Mon, Mar 8, 2021
  • Priority Registration Begins For Summer
Wed, Mar 10, 2021
  • Mid-term grade submission ends. Required for students enrolled in undergraduate courses See Rule 88.


2021 WSU Veteran and Military-Affiliated Students' Symposium

The 2021 WSU Veteran and Military-Affiliated Students' Symposium is being held virtually March 23 starting at 9 a.m. Pacific Time. This year’s theme is “The Power of a Veteran Ready College". All those interested in military-affiliated and veteran student issues at WSU are invited to attend virtual events throughout the day, including great speakers and presentations.

You can register by Zoom here

Overpayment and Debt Provision Update of New Law (SCO Update)

A recent change in enrollment resulted in an overpayment of tuition and fees and/or Yellow Ribbon benefits. VA will collect these amounts from students' schools. In turn, your school may require you to pay any outstanding balance for tuition and fees and may contact you regarding this debt. It is important that you work with your school to resolve this matter. Full information can be found at this link.

Raytheon Missiles & Defense SPY-6 Scholarship

The Raytheon Missiles & Defense SPY-6 Scholarship is now open! Two $10,000 scholarships will be awarded to U.S. Navy student veterans demonstrating leadership in their local community. Click here to view the form.

VA Suicide Prevention Resources

On November 16, the Department of Veterans Affairs announced a partnership with non-profit organization America Salutes you to to raise awareness of mental health resources for service members, Veterans and their loved ones. Download the news release here.        

VA Using New Electronic Health Record System

On October 24, the Department of Veterans Affairs began using a new electronic health record system in select VA facilities in the Pacific Northwest and Las Vegas. Download the news release here.

Extension of VA Student Benefits to 12/21/2021

The President signed the “Continuing Appropriations Act, 2021 and Other Extensions Act” (H. R. 8337) into law on 9/30/2020. Two provisions (contained in Section 5202) are of great significance to the VA beneficiaries that we serve, as follows:


(a) Extension Of Student Veteran Coronavirus Response Act Of 2020. —Section 2 of the Student Veteran Coronavirus Response Act of 2020 (Public Law 116–140) is amended by striking “December 21, 2020” and inserting “December 21, 2021.”

(b) Extension Of Period For Continuation Of Department Of Veterans Affairs Educational Assistance Benefits For Certain Programs Of Education Converted To Distance Learning By Reason Of Emergencies And Health-Related Situations. —Section 1(b) of Public Law 116–128 is amended by striking “December 21, 2020” and inserting “December 21, 2021."

National Guard Postsecondary Education Grant

This grant helps cover the cost of tuition, fees and school supplies for members of the Washington National Guard. Download this pdf for more information.

"Forever" GI Bill

The Harry W. Colmery Veterans Educational Assistance Act - The "Forever GI Bill" - brings significant changes to Veterans' education benefits over the next few years.  Stay informed of these changes and the effects they will have on your college career: Forever GI Bill Fact Sheet

Changes Made to Post-9/11 GI Bill Benefits

Changes made to the Post-9/11 GI Bill increase benefits for veterans with fewer months of service, effective August 1, 2020. Read more about it.

VA Extends Debt Relief

The Department of Veterans Affairs is extending debt relief for veterans through the end of 2020. Read more about it.

VA Debt Options During COVID19

The VA Debt Management Center (DMC) is suspending all actions on Veteran debts for sixty days. Read more about it.

CARES Act Student Relief

On March 27, 2020, the President signed into law H.R.748, the “Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security” or “CARES Act”. This bill provides much-needed relief for students across the country. While additional support will be needed, this legislation will help students now as they grapple with the impact of the Coronavirus (COVID-19). Depending on a student’s circumstances, they may expect direct cash payments, expanded unemployment insurance, additional financial aid, continued work-study payments, and student loan relief. Read more about the CARES Act in this pdf.

Federal Emergency GI Bill Passed!

S. 3503, a bill that clarifies how the Department of Veterans Affairs should treat in-person courses of study that convert to distance learning formats due to health-related situations and other emergencies, was signed into law on Saturday, March 21, 2020.


WSU Office of Veterans Affairs
WSU Office of Veterans Affairs