WSU Cougar Head Logo Washington State University

Residency for Tuition Purposes

Military or Civil Service Residency

Your military service, or your relationship to a service member or veteran, may qualify you to receive the Resident (in-state) tuition rate at Washington State University if the following apply to you:

Active Duty

  • Active duty military members stationed in the state of Washington.
  • Active duty military members who maintained Washington residency, but are stationed outside of the state.
  • Spouses and dependents of the above.

National Guard (Not Reserves)

  • Member of the Washington Army or Air National Guard.
  • Spouses and dependents of the above. 


  • Eligible for the Montgomery or Post 9/11 GI Bill, and starting school within three (3) year following discharge from the last period of active duty.

For example: For Spring semester beginning January 13, 2020, the veteran's last date of separation must be on, or after, January 13, 2017.

Spouses and Dependents

In addition to the situations mentioned above, spouses and dependents can claim the resident tuition rate if:

  • They are eligible for a transferred Post 9/11 GI Bill, and they are starting school:
    • While their sponsor is either on active duty, or
    • If their sponsor is within three (3) years following their last period of active duty.


Military Residency Application

Pullman, Global, Everett, Spokane, and Tri-Cities students

Vancouver students

Visit the Vancouver VA site for your campus specific residency form.

WSU Residency for Tuition Purposes

Students applying for military resident tuition are not automatically considered Washington residents for tuition purposes. While not important for everyone, students wishing to apply for the Washington Need Grant must be residents. The application for Washington residency for tuition purposes is a separate process.

Residency for Tuition Purposes
WSU Military Affiliated Students